With age taken into account, the Body Mass Index BMI Calculator can be used to determine BMI and the accompanying weight status. For the International System of Units, select “Metric Units” from the drop-down menu, and for US or metric conversions, select “Other Units.” The Ponderal Index and BMI are both calculated by the calculator, as well; details on each are provided below.
Based on height and weight, a person’s BMI is a calculation that determines how slim or corpulent they are, and it’s used to estimate the amount of tissue in the body. It is frequently employed as a broad indicator of body weight for height to determine whether a person is healthy. According on the range the value falls within, a person is classified as being underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese based on the value received from the BMI calculation. These BMI ranges are sometimes further broken down into subgroups like severely underweight or very severely obese, depending on variables like geography and age. Even though BMI is a flawed indicator of a healthy body weight, it can be used to determine whether further testing or treatment is necessary.
Ideal Weight :
BMR Calculation :
The dangers of obesity
A number of dangerous diseases and health issues are more likely to develop in overweight people. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have provided the following list of said risks:
- excessive blood pressure
- Higher levels of triglycerides, lower levels of HDL cholesterol, which is generally regarded as “good cholesterol in moderation,” and higher levels of LDL cholesterol, which is typically regarded as “bad cholesterol,”
- disease type II
- Coronary artery disease
- Gallbladder illness
- a life of poor quality
- Mental diseases like anxiety, severe depression, and others
Risks connected to underweight
The following dangers are some of those connected with being underweight:
- Vitamin deficiency, malnutrition, and anaemia (lowered ability to carry blood vessels)
- hormonal abnormalities that can interfere with the menstrual cycle may cause women to have reproductive problems. Additionally, first-trimester miscarriage rates are greater in underweight mothers.
- Surgery-related risks that could arise
Table of adult BMI
Based on BMI readings, this is the recommended body weight for adults by the World Health Organization (WHO). Both men and women who are at least 20 years old can utilise it.
BMI category range: kg/m2
Significant Thinness 16
16 to 17 Mild Moderate Thinness Normal 17 to 18.5 – Thinness 17 to 18.5 –
25 – 30
Class I Obese 30 to 35
II obesity 35 to 40
Class III obesity > 40
BMI chart for kids and teens, ages 2 to 20
The BMI classification is advised for kids and teenagers between the ages of 2 and 20, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Range for Category Percentiles
5% to 85% of a healthy weight
85% to 95% at risk of being overweight