With layers of bread, eggs, spinach, and cheese, KETO BREAKFAST STRATA is a delicious make-ahead breakfast casserole. It’s the ideal recipe for a special brunch, loaded with flavor in every bite.
Keto Egg Strata
From the good folks behind Cook’s Illustrated, I first learned to make breakfast egg strata.
For an extended family brunch, I made the original version years ago and it was a huge hit with everyone. So turning it into a keto breakfast casserole was an absolute delight for me that I could enjoy guilt-free .
Keyword: keto breakfast strata
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 9 servings
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup unflavoured egg white protein powder/whey protein
- 2 tablespoon Swerve Sweetener
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1 large egg whole, not separated
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup butter softened, divided
- 2 large shallots minced
- (thawed and squeezed of excess moisture) 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar grated
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and with parchment paper, line the very (only the bottom)bottom of a loaf pan(9×5). Do not grease the pan at all.
- Whisk together the salt, protein powder, sweetener, baking powder, and almond flour in a large bowl. Whisk together the egg yolks, whole egg, oil, and water in a medium bowl. Into the dry ingredients, whisk the egg mixture until it gets smooth and well combined.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar in another large bowl until they hold very stiff peaks. Into the batter, fold the egg whites until well combined and no streaks remain.
- In the prepared pan, spread the batter and bake 40 to 50 minutes, until uniformly golden brown, the top is risen, and when pressed, springs back. Take it out from oven and in the pan, let cool completely.
- To loosen and flip out, run a sharp knife around the inside of the pan. Remove the bottom parchment. Cut into TWELVE even slices and over a cookie sheet, set on a wire rack.
- To 200ºF, preheat the oven and until hard and dry to the touch, place the bread in the oven, at least ONE hour. Alternatively, on the counter, you can let it dry out overnight.
- Lightly grease a glass(8×8 inch)/ceramic baking dish. Use TWO tbsp. of the butter and on each of the dry slices, spread some.
- To a medium skillet, add the remaining two tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and about 2 minutes, sauté until it gets translucent. With salt and pepper, add the spinach and season lightly. With the shallots, stir to combine well, then remove from heat.
- In the prepared baking dish, arrange half of the bread, buttered side up. Sprinkle with half of the spinach(mixture), then half of the cheese(grated). Repeat with the remaining cheese, spinach, and bread.
- Whisk together the eggs and cream in a large bowl. With salt and pepper, season generously and in the pan, pour over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap and with several heavy cans, weigh down everything.
- To allow the egg mixture to soak into the bread, refrigerate ONE hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF, when ready to cook. From the fridge, remove the casserole, remove the cans and plastic wrap, and while the oven is heating, let stand at room temperature.
- Bake about 45 to 55 minutes, until it gets puffed and golden brown, and the edges have pulled away from the sides of the pan a bit. Remove and before serving, let cool TEN minutes.
Keto Breakfast Strata Recipe
Amount Per Serving
(1 serving = 1/9th of recipe)
Calories from Fat 299
% Daily Value*