Keto Pecan Turtle Candies. Sugar-free and low carb? Oh baby! A truly special treat. For the last of them, be ready to fight with your loved ones !
We didn’t get to have them very often, despite the fact that they were sold in every drugstore and convenience mart. Usually reserved for the holidays, they were special treats.
TIPS FOR SUGAR FREE TURTLE CANDY
So that it clings to the pecans and doesn’t run all over your pan, you need the right consistency and the right thickness. To achieve this you need:
(such as Sukrin or Lakanto)Swerve Brown or another brown sugar substitute.
Such as Bocha Sweet, allulose, or xylitol (no, you can’t use Lakanto or Sukrin here, another sweetener that doesn’t harden or recrystallize. Just like Swerve, they are both erythritol based, so they will recrystallize too much).
To help thicken the sauce after boiling, Xanthan gum.
You don’t want to thin it out, no water added to the sauce.
For a while after it’s finished cooking, to let it cool.
Keyword: Homemade Turtles, Turtle Candy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 24 candies
- 6 tablespoon Swerve Brown
- (or allulose or xylitol)3 tablespoon Bocha Sweet
- 5 tablespoon butter divided
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 4 ounces sugar free dark chocolate chopped
- More sea salt for sprinkling, if desired
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sweeteners and FOUR tablespoons of the butter. Bring to a boil and to FIVE minutes, cook THREE, watching carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the cream, remove from heat. (vigorously)The mixture will bubble.
- To heat, return the mixture and bring back to a boil. Watching carefully, boil THREE minutes.
- With xanthan gum, sprinkle the surface and whisk to combine. Whisk in the salt. Until thickened but still pourable, let the caramel cool , about 1 hour
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F and with parchment or a silicone baking mat, line a cookie sheet . In a single layer, spread the pecans out on the mat and bake SEVEN to TEN minutes, until it gets toasted. In clusters of 3 or 4, arrange the pecans , making about TWENTY to TWENTY FOUR clusters.
- Over each pecan cluster, drizzle a few teaspoons of caramel , making sure some caramel is touching each of the pecans. In the freezer to set the caramel, place the cookie sheet.
- Over a bowl of barely simmering water in a small bowl set, combine the remaining tablespoon of butter and the chocolate. Stir until smooth and melted, then drizzle over the chilled clusters.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, and let it set.
Sugar Free Pecan Turtle Candies
Amount Per Serving (2 turtles)
Calories 242Calories from Fat 215
% Daily Value*
Leave a Comment