One of the most beloved comfort foods Best Low-Carb Lasagna Made with Egg Wraps is now keto!
And you thought to be keto, you had to give up your favorite Italian casserole…..not anymore! To create a hearty dinner that your entire family will love, versatile Crepini egg wraps step in for sheets of lasagna noodles.
To make this classic Italian dinner, layers of creamy, luscious cheeses (four kinds!), savory meat sauce, and low carb egg wrap “pasta” combined.
In this recipe, to create a more robust and seasoned sauce, I combined ground beef and Italian chicken sausage. Ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses are traditionally used, and for a richer depth of flavor, I also added provolone.
Tips for making:
(you could use regular pork Italian sausage /whatever sausage you like)I used ground beef and Italian chicken sausage. What greatly enhance the flavor are the seasonings in the sausage, but if you like, you can make it with all ground beef. It will be fabulous either way!
I used egg wraps instead of lasagna noodles. I’ve had great results with Crepini Egg Wraps. At Costco, Walmart, Sprouts, Whole Foods, and most larger chain grocery stores in the refrigerated section, I’ve spotted egg wraps.
I suggest you use 18 wraps which is 1 1/2 packages while we’re talking about egg wraps. They are very thin and delicate. Makes slicing and serving easier.
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 60 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- (pork, chicken, or turkey) 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef or ground sirloin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- (about 48 oz./6 cups) 2 jars keto-friendly pasta sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 15 oz. full-fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups (16 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- (totals 36 pieces) 18 egg wraps, cut in half
Prepare the meat sauce:
- To a large skillet/Dutch oven, add olive oil and set over medium heat. Add garlic when oil shimmers and sauté for 2 minutes.
- To the pan, add ground Italian sausage, ground beef, salt, and pepper, and for 8-10 minutes, brown the meat. Break into crumbles when meat is no longer pink, with a wooden spoon/spatula.
- Add marinara and mix it all together. For about 5 minutes, heat through.
Prepare the ricotta cheese layer:
- To a medium bowl, add the egg and whisk. Add basil, 1/2 cup Parmesan, ricotta, and combine. To sprinkle on top of the lasagna, reserve the other 1/4 cup of Parmesan.
Compose the lasagna:
- In the center of the oven, position the oven rack and preheat to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a pan(9 x 13-inch) with cooking spray unless your pan is nonstick.
- To yield 36 pieces, cut the egg wraps in half. In the bottom of the baking pan, evenly spread about 1/3 of the meat sauce (about 2 rounded cups). Top with TWELVE pieces of (overlapping)egg wraps.
- With EIGHT slices of provolone cheese, half of the ricotta cheese and egg mixture, and 1 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese top the egg wraps.
- Top with 1 1/3 cup of mozzarella, 2 cups of meat sauce, remaining ricotta egg mixture, and TWELVE more pieces of egg wraps.
- Next, layer with 1/4 cup reserved Parmesan, the remaining meat sauce, 1 1/3 cups mozzarella, and TWELVE pieces of egg wraps.
- Cover with aluminum foil and for about TWENTY-FIVE minutes, bake.
- Remove the foil and for another 15 to 20 minutes, continue baking until the top starts to brown. Remove from oven, and for at least TWENTY minutes, let rest on a cooling rack before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 12 servings,
Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: 454 Calories
9.6g Total Carbs
0g Sugar Alcohol
8.1g Net Carbs
Leave a Comment