Keto Buttermilk Biscuits offer the warm, comforting taste of traditional biscuits while keeping your carb count low. These buttery and flaky biscuits are perfect for anyone following a ketogenic diet or looking to reduce their carbohydrate intake. The secret to their delightful texture is the use of almond flour and buttermilk, which create a tender and savory biscuit that pairs perfectly with keto-friendly toppings like butter or avocado. Let’s dive into the recipe!
Recipe: Keto Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (full-fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives (optional, for flavor)
- Extra almond flour for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until a dough forms. If desired, fold in the chopped chives for added flavor.
- Dust a clean surface with almond flour and turn the biscuit dough out onto it. Gently knead the dough a few times until it holds together.
- Roll the dough to about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thickness.
- Use a round biscuit cutter (approximately 2.5 inches in diameter) to cut out biscuits from the dough. Re-roll any remaining dough to make more biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and let them cool slightly before serving.
(assuming 1 biscuit):
- Calories: 240
- Total Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 7g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Total Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 7g