I’ve been trying out different types of meat and seafood with it ever since I made the Keto Fried Chicken using whey protein isolate! You can literally coat anything with it and that is why I love using it and it’ll seem like it was coated in flour. I decided to make some Keto Fried Calamari because I’ve been craving some squid these past few days!
Fish and seafood are mostly sold in their intact forms in Japan, meaning that their heads, skin, and tails are still attached. Now, this was a huge challenge for me as I’m absolutely petrified of squid and octopus heads! Anyway, I cut the tentacles off its head, sliced the tube and tail into a few slices.
I’d just be sure to wash the squid thoroughly after cutting it if you’re using a fresh squid because there can still be a bit of blood or goo on it.
To coat the ingredient with an egg first is the secret to frying with protein powder. If you don’t do that, then the protein will not stick and you’ll get a huge mess in the oil. I prefer the NOW brand of Whey Protein Isolate(it’s unflavored and practically has 0 carbs). I used some lard as I always do as for the frying oil.
It’s usually served with a marinara sauce, but in Japan it’s pretty typical to dip it in a keto mayo recipes and serve it with some lemon slice. Plus, it’s lower in carbs than using a tomato sauce/ketchup.
Course Appetizer, Dinner
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time5 minutes
Total Time15 minutes
SERVING 2 SERVINGS
- ▢2 squids (about 170g)
- ▢½ tsp paprika powder
- ▢¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- ▢¼ tsp black pepper
- ▢⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ▢1 egg
- ▢(about 60g) ½ cup whey protein isolate
- ▢oil for frying (prefer lard)
- Go ahead if you have squid tubes and slice them up. Carefully remove the head if you’re using fresh squids, and its insides. Cut the tentacles off. Slice the squid into 1cm slices and wash the body thoroughly.
- (If you don’t you risk having some water explode in the hot oil)Pat dry the squids.
- Combine the cayenne pepper, paprika powder, salt, black pepper and sliced squids in a bowl.
- Mix everything together and crack the egg inside. Mix until it gets combined.
- Preheat the oil to 285F-300F.
- Into the protein powder, dip each squid slice and make sure all sides are coated properly. Add it to the hot oil once coated and until nice and crispy, fry 30-60 seconds. To absorb the excess oil, transfer the squid to some parchment paper.
- Serve with some marinara sauce and mayonnaise or some lemon juice!
*Before coating it with the protein powder, don’t forget to mix the squid with the egg first or else it won’t work!!
Keto Fried Calamari
Amount Per Serving (1 serving)
Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1.12g7%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.85g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.05g
Vitamin A 1300IU26%
Vitamin C 9.1mg11%
NET CARBS 3.19g6%