At Panda Express, one of my favorite dishes to eat has always been the Kung Pao Chicken, but sadly their version is not quite Keto-friendly. This KETO KUNG PAO CHICKEN recipe is such a close copy-cat that it is deeply satisfying. It’s one of my favorite Chinese Keto dishes.
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 2-3 Red & Green Bell Peppers (Diced)
- 2-3 Zucchini (Chopped)
- 2 Celery Stalks (Chopped)
- 1 Bunch of Green Onion Tops (Sliced)
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 Tablespoons (Divided)Rice Vinegar-or- White Vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons (Divided)Coconut Aminos -or- Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Chili Sauce
- Kettle & Fire Chicken Broth 1/2 Cup
- 1 Tablespoon Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger (Minced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (Divided)
- Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum (Optional)
- Cut up into chunks the Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs that are about 1″ square. Take a mixing bowl and place the chicken in it.
- With Baking Soda, sprinkle the Chicken meat and to get an even coating, toss by hand.
- Drizzle the Chicken with about one tbsp. of the Coconut Aminos -or- Liquid Aminos.
- Pour in one tbsp. of the Vinegar. (Baking Soda will foam up)
- To insure an even coating, toss the chicken again by hand, and while preparing the other ingredients, set aside to marinate. (10 mins)
- Take a Mixing Bowl and combine Chicken Bone Broth, the Garlic Chili Sauce, one tbsp. of the Vinegar, Monkfruit Sweetener and four tbsp. of the Aminos.
- To dissolve the Monkfruit sweetener, and to get the sauce evenly mixed, Whisk.
- Set aside for cooking later
- Warm up two tbsp. of the Avocado Oil in a Wok over Medium-High temp.
- Put all Chicken Thighs, and get the chicken evenly coated with the hot oil by tossing.
- To get the outsides fully seared, brown the Chicken for almost ten mins.
- Take the chicken out from the Wok once fully browned and set aside to add back in towards the end.
- To the Wok, add two more tbsp. of Avocado Oil.
- Put Black Pepper, Ginger and Garlic and saute for about 1-2 mins, until it gets fragrant.
- Put Celery, Zucchini, and Bell Peppers and to coat evenly, toss in the oil.
- Heat for almost 5-8 mins until the veggies start to become soft in texture.
- Put all of the Sauce, and simmer for about five more mins. Optionally sprinkle in about half a teaspoon of Xanthan Gum, if you would like your sauce thicker , which will give it a thicker texture.
- Into the wok, put previously browned Chicken Thighs back and stir constantly while heating for about five more mins.
- Put Sliced Almonds and the Sliced Green Onions in the last couple minutes of heating. You could choose to leave these out, but we prefer that they complete the dish
6 servings per container
Serving size 1 Thigh
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 24g