Preparation time: 15 MINUTES
Cooking time: 50 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR AND 5 MINUTES
main course: MAIN DISHES
AMERICAN AND ITALIAN FOOD
Made with cheese noodles, this lasagna is delicious. This low-carb and keto-friendly lasagna tastes just like traditional lasagna.
- NOODLES WITH CHEESE DOUGH LASAGNA
- 4 ounces softened full-fat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- two huge eggs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 pound ground beefI used ground beef that was lean.
- 1 cup marinara sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese with a low moisture content
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using parchment paper, line a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet.
- In a food processor, combine all of the cheese dough ingredients. Blend until well combined. It should be the consistency of a thick liquid. You can combine by hand if you don’t have a food processor (see notes).
- Fill the baking pan halfway with the cheese batter. Spread the batter evenly around the pan using a spatula.
- Place in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the surface is no longer wet and firm to the touch.
- Set aside the cheesy noodles to cool. Prepare your beef sauce while the noodles are cooling.
- Combine the onion and ground beef in a large skillet. Cook until the meat is browned on medium heat.
- Remove any excess fat from the pan.
- Combine the Italian spice and marinara sauce in a mixing bowl. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
- Cut the cheese dough into thirds evenly. Slices should fit into an 8 × 4-inch loaf pan. (For reference, see the photo in the post)
- Cover the bottom of an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with a thin coating of beef sauce. Place the first noodle layer on top of the meat sauce.
- Spread 1/3 of the remaining beef sauce across the initial layer of noodles. 3 tbsp ricotta cheese, spread across. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Rep with the remaining noodles, meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella.
- Add another noodle. Finish with the remaining beef sauce. Finish with the remaining mozzarella. If desired, season the cheese with a pinch of dry herb seasoning. I like to add a pinch of dried oregano, finely crumbled, to the cheese.
- For around 20 minutes, bake lasagna in the center of the oven at 350F. Set your oven to a low broil (after the 20-minute bake) and allow the cheese bubble and blister for about 2 minutes to get some color on the top cheese layer.
- Allow the lasagna to cool slightly before cutting and serving. Before serving, top with finely chopped fresh basil, oregano, and parsley, as well as freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
- I prefer to make the cheese dough in a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can do it by hand, but you’ll need to finely chop the shredded cheese so it looks like it came from a food processor. To begin, beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Whisk in the eggs. Add the mozzarella cheese and Italian spice and mix well. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- For the filling, use your preferred mozzarella cheese, but prepare the cheese dough with a low moisture part skim.
- To make the filling, I bought low-sugar marinara pasta sauce. Muir Glen and Rao’s are two brands that provide this.
Calories: 633kcal, carbohydrates: 9g, Protein: 49g, fat: 43g, saturated fat: 20g, Sodium: 840mg, fiber: 1g, sugar: 3g, net carbs: 8