A lower-carb version of a Mexican casserole from the past, this new recipe for KETO LAYERED MEXICAN CASSEROLE with Chicken and Cauliflower Rice! You’ll love the new version.
I’m excited to share this new recipe for Layered Mexican Casserole with Chicken and Cauliflower Rice, and when we tested the recipe, we absolutely devoured it.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
- Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce/other low-sugar green enchilada sauce
- frozen cauliflower rice
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- diced green chiles
- (if desired)Green Tabasco Sauce for added heat
- sour cream
- diced, cooked chicken
- green onion
- grated Mexican Blend Cheese
WHY HATCH GREEN CHILE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
A delicious canned green chile enchilada sauce that’s gluten-free and I’m a long-time fan of Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce. The sauce adds only 3.5 carbs per serving to this recipe. And this sauce is so flavorful and convenient to use.
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower rice
- one 15 oz. can Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- One T olive oil
- 1 T ground cumin (see notes)
- one 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- (optional) 1 T Green Tabasco Sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 2 cups grated Mexican Cheese Blend
- Preheat oven to 375 F. With non-stick spray, spray a 9″ x 12″ x 3″ casserole dish.
- Remove frozen cauliflower rice from freezer and on the counter, let it start to thaw.
- In a small saucepan, put Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce and until it’s reduced to one cup, simmer.
- Dice green bell pepper and onion and slice green onions.
- Into small dice, cut chicken.
- In a frying pan big enough to hold the cauliflower rice, heat olive oil, add onion and green pepper and about FIVE minutes, cook until they’re barely starting to brown.
- Add ground cumin and a few more minutes, cook.
- Then add frozen cauliflower rice and until rice is hot and liquid has evaporated, cook over high heat, about FOUR minutes.
- Put it in a bowl that’s big enough to hold the chicken when Green Chile Enchilada Sauce has reduced to one cup, and stir in diced green chiles.
- Stir in the sour cream, diced chiles, and green onions when the mixture is still warm but no longer hot.
- In the bottom of the casserole dish, make a layer with half the cauliflower rice mixture.
- By spoonfuls, add half the chicken/sour cream mixture, and spread over the cauliflower rice.
- Over the chicken mixture, add half the grated cheese.
- Make another layer each of grated cheese, chicken mixture, and cauliflower rice mixture.
- Until the top is nicely browned and casserole is bubbling hot, bake uncovered 30-35 minutes.
- Before cutting, let stand 5-10 minutes, and serve!
If you’d like a thicker cauliflower rice layer you can use a bit more, we made this with THREE cups cauliflower rice. You might want a bit less cumin if you’re not a huge cumin fan. The diced green chiles are not jalapenos but mild Anaheim chiles!
SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 19g
Saturated Fat: 9g
Trans Fat: 0g
Unsaturated Fat: 8g