KETO TUNA CASSEROLE. While being low carb and gluten free, it has all of the classic flavors of a traditional tuna noodle casserole recipe. It’s the perfect quick and easy weeknight meal.
RECIPE TIPS AND VARIATIONS
Serving suggestions: With some of my favorite vegetable side dishes: Lemon Pepper Green Beans, Brussels Sprouts with Creamy Dijon Cider Dressing, I recommend serving this Keto Tuna Casserole. For a boost of extra veggies, you can also add mushrooms to the recipe.
Storage: Up to THREE days, store in the fridge in an airtight container. You can do so if you plan to store it in the freezer before baking for up to THREE months.
Reheating: Reheat this low carb tuna casserole on the stove top/in the microwave for best results. To keep it from drying out, you can add a little cream as well, especially if reheating in the microwave.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you make this from scratch?
In olive oil and butter, cook the veggies and aromatics until it gets just tender, mix in the seasonings, add Parmesan and heavy cream for a creamy element, and let it all thicken. Add the tuna and peas finally, sprinkle extra Parmesan on the casserole, and until it reaches bubbly, golden perfection, bake .
How many carbs does tuna casserole have?
Only 7g net carbs per serving.
What’s the best low carb pasta?
Some great options are cauliflower , spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or even Shirataki noodles for low carb pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- (about 1 ½ lbs) medium head green cabbage , cut into large shreds
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried dill/2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 ¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 – 5oz cans albacore tuna, drained
- ½ cup frozen peas
- In an ovenproof skillet(extra large), heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the cabbage, onion, celery, garlic, sea salt and black pepper once heated to the pan.
- Sauté about TEN minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Mix in the lemon juice, mustard powder, lemon zest, and dill.
- Into the pan, pour the 1 cup Parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Mix in and Until the cheese has melted and combined with the heavy cream, keep stirring.
- To medium low, reduce heat and let simmer to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Stir in the tuna and the peas once the sauce has started to thicken.
- Over the top of the dish, sprinkle the remaining Parmesan and transfer to the oven.
- Until the Parmesan on top has made a golden brown crust, broil on high for 3-5 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Category: Casserole Recipes
Serving Size: ⅛th of the recipe
Leave a Comment