This recipe is such a delicious option for leftover turkey, but Low-Carb Turkey Casserole is equally delicious if you make it with chicken. Lots of people must be making it with chicken as this casserole is popular all year, so!
- 6 cups chopped cauliflower
- washed and sliced 1 pound Crimini mushrooms,
- Four cups cooked leftover chicken or turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried Poultry Seasoning
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 cup coarsely grated Mozzarella
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried Poultry seasoning
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a large glass dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (prefer dish 10″ x 13″)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make six cups of small cauliflower pieces, chop up enough cauliflower. Then to pulse the cauliflower, use a food processor with a steel blade until it’s finely chopped, bit larger then kernels of rice. ( Also on the side of a box grater, chop the cauliflower by grating it.)
- If you prefer, use frozen cauliflower rice, about three cups.
- Wash the mushrooms and slice into (thick) half slices.
- Into bite-sized pieces, dice the leftover turkey (or chicken).
- Mix together to make the thick sauce mixture, the Poultry seasoning, 1/2 tsp each dried thyme, Dijon mustard, mayo and sour cream, One cup grated Mozzarella, and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- In a non-stick frying pan, Heat 2 tsp. olive oil and over medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms until they release their liquid, it evaporates, and mushrooms starts to brown.
- In the bottom of the casserole dish, put mushrooms.
- Add about two tsp. more olive oil and over medium-high heat, saute the onions until they are starting to brown and softened.
- In the casserole dish, put onions over the mushrooms.
- Heat another Two tsp. of olive oil and put finely-chopped cauliflower.
- Stirring often, heat over medium-high heat, until the cauliflower is starting to barely brown and soften, about 3-4 minutes (or for frozen cauliflower rice, bit less).
- Add the One teaspoon each of Poultry Seasoning and dried thyme and heat about One more minute.
- With a little salt and fresh-ground black pepper, season the cauliflower rice; then over the mushrooms and onions, put it into the casserole dish.
- Into the casserole dish, put the diced turkey over the veggies and to combine the ingredients right in the dish, use a plastic spoon.
- Over the top, spread the sauce mixture and then to gently combine the ingredients with the sauce, use the spoon, until the ingredients are well mixed into the sauce.
- With a paper towel, wipe off the sides of the casserole dish, if needed.
- Mozzarella cheese to sprinkle and bake uncovered until the top is nicely browned and casserole is starting to bubble and , about Forty mins.
- Let cool about Five mins; then cut into Eight servings and eat while hot.
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 33g
Saturated Fat: 11g
Unsaturated Fat: 20g