BEST KETO CHOCOLATE CHAFFLE. On the inside, soft and fluffy, deliciously crispy on the outside: this recipe is going to blow your mind! One chaffle = 2.4g net carbs. Great as an afternoon sweet treat or for a weekend brunch. Gluten free and sugar free.
WHAT IS A CHAFFLE
A chaffle is a cheese waffle. The basic keto chaffle recipe consists of egga and grated / shredded mozzarell.
The batter becomes very versatile and fluffy by adding low carb flours such as almond flour/coconut flour, baking powder and other ingredients.
It can be savoury or sweet.
Amongst people following a low carb keto diet, Chaffles are very popular. They are high in fat and very low in carbs just like fathead dough.
To make chaffles, instead of a regular sized waffle iron, it’s advisable to use a Dash mini waffle iron. They are filling!
DO CHAFFLES TASTE OF CHEESE?
Chaffles do not taste cheesy. Grated mozzarella has a neutral taste. And it is impossible to detect a cheese flavour once you mix the mozzarella with other ingredients.
Cheese is that it makes the waffles very crispy on the outside, whilst the inside stays soft which is great.
Most chaffle recipes recommend that with a fork, you combine the ingredients and stir in the mozzarella last.
However, I have found that for a fluffy chaffle batter, using a stick blender/immersion blender makes all the difference.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 9 mins
Total Time 14 mins
Course Breakfast, Dessert
Calories 129 kcal
Mini Waffle Maker
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella 57g
- 2 tbsp cacao powder 10g, or cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp almond flour 18g
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tbsp powdered sweetener
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- (both optional)1 tbsp collagen peptides or whey protein powder
- To a small mixing bowl, add all the chaffle ingredients. Until it gets smooth, blitz with an immersion hand blender.
- Heat a mini waffle maker.
- To prevent sticking, brush with a little oil. To the middle of the iron, add ⅓ batter and spread out. Heat for about THREE mins.
- Open the lid and for about FIFTEEN seconds, allow the Chaffle in the waffle iron to cool. With a fork without bending, you’ll then be able to lift it out.
- To let it fully cool, put on wire rack. For the remaining batter, do same.
sugar free chocolate chips
Storage: For 2-3 days, store in the fridge or for up to 3 months, freeze.
Allow to thaw overnight, if frozen. Then, reheat in the in the waffle maker/toaster.
Total Carbohydrates: 4.4g
Saturated Fat: 3.2g