Keto Beef Empanadas are a flavorful and savory treat that allows you to enjoy the deliciousness of empanadas while keeping your carbohydrate intake low. These hand-held, keto-friendly pastries are filled with seasoned ground beef, spices, and olives, all enclosed in a golden, flaky almond flour crust. They make for a perfect snack, appetizer, or even a meal when paired with a side salad. Let’s dive into the recipe for these Keto Beef Empanadas.
Recipe: Keto Beef Empanadas
For the Dough:
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
Preparing the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt, and garlic powder.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and cold water together. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until it forms a cohesive dough. If needed, add a bit more water, one tablespoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preparing the Filling:
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until it starts to brown. Break it apart into crumbles as it cooks.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet with the beef. Cook until the onion is translucent and the beef is fully cooked.
- Stir in the ground cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, black pepper, chopped olives, and tomato paste. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to let the flavors meld. Remove it from the heat and add cilantro if desired.
Assembling the Empanadas:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the chilled dough between two sheets of parchment paper to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Use a round cutter or a glass to cut out circles from the dough. Re-roll and cut as needed to use all the dough.
- Place a spoonful of the beef filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold the dough over to create a half-moon shape and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Place the assembled empanadas on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the empanadas with the beaten egg to give them a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the empanadas are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve your Keto Beef Empanadas hot, as a snack, appetizer, or paired with a side salad for a complete meal.
(recipe makes about 12 empanadas):
- Calories: 280
- Total Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- Sodium: 265mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 13g