KETO CHEESE-STUFFED GIANT MEATBALLS. In Japan, Whether it’s flan cake, donuts, sushi, or even meatballs, it’s pretty popular to make a “giant” version of whatever dish you want, in any cookbooks or blogs, you can always find gigantic versions of any dishes. I decided to make up for the pasta by making some homemade meatballs and making them ginormous as I used to love eating spaghetti and meatballs!
I originally cooked the meatballs in the marinara sauce when I first made this dish, without simmering down the sauce first and the whole thing ended up really watery so while the meatballs were cooking, that’s why I ended up making the sauce first and just putting it back in the oven to melt the cheese.
As they’re pretty big so these end up really stuffing so accompanied with a small salad, I had one meatball for my lunches this week and that was more than enough. You are more than welcome to make 6 or 8 if you feel like making four meatballs is too much calories.
Course Dinner, Lunch, Main Course
Cuisine American, Canadian
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
Total Time40 minutes
SERVINGS 4 MEATBALLS
- ▢120 g mozzarella cheese (for stuffing)
- ▢100 g mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- ▢½ onion (about 50g)
- ▢3 cloves garlic
- ▢6-8 brown mushrooms (about 70g)
- ▢650 g ground pork
- ▢2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ▢1 tsp sage
- ▢1 tsp Himalayan salt
- ▢One tsp black pepper
- ▢1 tsp basil
- ▢¼ cup blanched almond flour (about 30g)
- ▢400 g crushed tomatoes (1 small can)
- ▢½ tsp parsley
- ▢½ tsp oregano
- ▢¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- ▢½ tsp basil
- ▢½ tsp black pepper
- ▢¼ tsp garlic powder
- ▢¼ tsp onion powder
- ▢½ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Thinly chop the mushrooms and onion. Mince the garlic. Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and knead with your hands until it gets well-combined.
- Into 4 piles, separate the 120g of mozzarella cheese.
- Into four (or 6, 8 depending on how big/small you want them), separate the meatball mixture.
- Take ¼ of the meatball mixture and into two, separate. Take one half and with the ¼ of the cheese, cover. Put over the cheese on the other half of the meatball mixture. Form a big meatball with your hands carefully, and a couple of times to release the air, throw the meatball from one hand to another. Place in an oven proof dish once formed. With the remaining 3 meatballs, repeat this.
- In the oven-proof dish, once all of the meatballs are formed, bake in the oven for TWENTY minutes. Because we will use it again after so do not turn off the oven.
- Combine the tomato sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pot and simmer on medium-heat for TEN minutes. Make sure that it has considerably simmered down as the sauce needs to be pretty thick(this step is important because I tried making this dish without simmering the sauce down first and the meatballs ended up really watery).
- Take the dish out of the oven once the meatballs cooked TWENTY minutes, cover the meatballs with the tomato sauce and then over everything, sprinkle the 100g of mozzarella.
- Put in oven again and bake for TEN more minutes(until the mozzarella has a nice golden brown crust).
- Take out of the oven and while the cheese is still gooey. serve hot!!
Keto Cheese-Stuffed Giant Meatballs
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 480
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 21.13g132%
NET CARBS 7.15g14%
Leave a Comment