In less than TWENTY-FIVE minutes, this low-carb Hungarian Keto Chicken Paprikash can be made on the stovetop/instant pot, loaded with creamy paprika sauce and juicy mouth-melting chicken, perfect for your easy low carb dinner.
What is Chicken Paprikash?
Originated from Eastern Europe, it is a traditional Hungarian dish also made in the Czech Republic. Because of its authentic and original paprika used, it is mainly famous, then to make it more flavorful, it is modified with other ingredients like garlic, lard, onions, sour cream, and butter.
Keto chicken paprika – Important Tips
Saute – when it combines with paprika, saute the chicken first for a flavorful aroma.
Cream – Always, try to add room temperature sour cream(add it slowly). It will curdle if you don’t avoid adding cold sour cream to a hot liquid. You can use coconut cream as a dairy-free option, for the heavy cream.
Paprika – If you can, get an original and authentic Hungarian paprika, because this recipe is all about paprika. On a good brand of paprika, spend more.
Chicken – For more flavor, I used bone-in and skin-on chicken drumsticks and thighs, but a slightly longer cooking time is needed. Or, use boneless and skinless chicken thighs instead.
Additional spices – Add spices like onion powder, Moroccan seasonings, cayenne, garlic, and cumin(This is optional).
Store – Pack them in airtight containers and for up to 5-6 days, store them in the fridge.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
- ONE kg chicken thighs, bone-in, skin one
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- ONE tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (for dairy-free, use coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Over high heat, heat a Dutch oven. Add TWO tbsp of oil, once hot, add onion and pepper and cook until it gets softened. Remove and put it aside.
- In the pan, add the remaining oil, add the chicken, and until the skin on the top is caramelized and browned, cook. Add in smoked paprika and sweet and stir well.
- To the pot, add the onions and peppers followed by the chicken stock. Too low, reduce heat and for about THIRTY minutes, simmer.
- Stir in xanthan gum, heavy cream, and sour cream in a small bowl. Pour into the chicken and for
- For FIVE more minutes, cook or until sauce slightly thickens/reaches your desired doneness.
- Add the parsley.
- Serve over cauliflower rice/shirataki rice.
Hungarian sweet and Hot Paprika
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 40g
Saturated Fat 13g
Trans Fat 0g
Unsaturated Fat 26g
Net Carbohydrates 2.8g
Leave a Comment