We used to regularly stop by one of our favorite ramen shops after a late night at karaoke before bed. That store was most famous for their chahan and there used to be long lines of people standing patiently outside, waiting for a stool at the counter. This Keto Fried Rice with Pork is based upon this particular dish, made low carb by using cauliflower instead!
What is Chahan?
It’s simply Japanese fried rice, prepared in a sizzling hot wok with rice and various ingredients. In Japan it’s a common dish at home and it’s also commonly found on the menu at ramen restaurants where it’s usually eaten after the noodles at the end of the meal. You can add whatever you have because ingredients vary widely.
- 1/2 head of medium cauliflower
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 100 g pork belly
- 2 mini green capsicums
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp pickled ginger
- Prepare the caulirice.
- Into florets, chop the cauliflower.
- Until it forms rice sized granules, place in a food processor and pulse. Remember not to go too far or you’ll end up with cauliflower mash instead!
- Add the cauliflower after heating some oil in a frying pan and saute over a medium heat for about five mins, until cooked. Take it out from the pan and put it aside.
- Prepare the fried rice
- By beating the eggs, prepare your omelette and adding to your frying pan. To create a thin omelette, swirl the mixture around. Flip when cooked through and heat an additional min.
- Take it out from and put it aside.
- To the frying pan, add your garlic and add the pork belly once fragrant. Slice your omelette into small cubes, while it’s cooking.
- Add the capsicum once the pork belly is cooked through, half the spring onion and heat for an additional min.
- Next, add the egg and cauliflower back into the pan. Put soy sauce and stir thoroughly.
- Over a high heat, cook, until it gets well combined and serve steaming hot.
- Garnish with the remaining pickled ginger, sesame seeds and spring onions. Enjoy!
Each serving has 8g net carbs
Net carbs: 8g,