KETO HONEY WALNUT SHRIMP. Panda Express Honey Walnut shrimp used to be one of my favorite take-out options, which obviously isn’t keto. Hey…we can make that keto! after we saw someone else make it at home and thought, It was SO good!
To include in your diet, shrimp is a portion of great food.
- High in protein but also low in calories, carbs, and fat. …
- It is rich in vitamin B12, choline, and selenium. …
- What’s more, shrimp contain antioxidants like astaxanthin, which reduces inflammation and oxidative damage
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
For the candied walnuts:
- 1/2 cup walnuts (you could use whole but we used chopped)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup allulose
For the shrimp tempura
- (tail-off shrimp) 1 lb fresh/frozen and dethawed, shell off- devined,
- 4 egg whites room temp
- 2/3 cup whey protein isolate
- oil for frying (350 degrees) we prefer avocado oil!
For the honey walnut sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 4 tablespoons keto honey substitute (be careful with this product! as this has xylitol in it, which is toxic to dogs)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons keto sweetened condensed milk
- keto sweetened condensed milk: 1/2 cup allulose simmered for around an hour until reduced, ONE cup of heavy cream, TWO tablespoons unsalted butter.
Candy your walnuts:
- In a pan, simmer the water, dissolve your allulose, add walnuts when bubbling and cook for FIVE minutes until it gets thickened.
- Remove the walnuts from the liquid when it gets cool and place them on a plate.
Make your sauce
- To a bowl, add all ingredients and whisk together until it gets combined. To keep for later, this makes plenty of sauce. I haven’t tried freezing this sauce yet(but I am going to try!)
Make your shrimp:
1. Until they form stiff peaks, whip the FOUR room temp. egg whites.
2. To create a batter, fold in your whey protein isolate.
3. To 350 degrees, heat oil and drop in your shrimp, to make sure they are all coated, stir them gently.
4. For about THREE minutes, make sure to flip them and fry shrimp in batches until they are golden. Drain on paper towels.
5. When dressing the shrimp, use a couple of tablespoons of sauce, and top with candied walnuts.
On how much you eat, it’s going to depend. There are only TWO grams of net carbs per serving.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 25g
Saturated Fat 11g
Trans Fat 1g
Unsaturated Fat 12g
Leave a Comment