Because the bacteria use lactose as a food source during the fermentation process so cheese is lower in carbs. Keto Mozzarella Sticks have you covered.
Flour and breadcrumbs
Mozzarella cheese sticks have sources of carbohydrates just like the Keto Meatballs that are sometimes underappreciated and overlooked with it comes to blood sugar impact. Cheese sticks are typically dipped in an egg, coated in flour and milk wash and then prior to baking/deep frying, rolled in breadcrumbs.
One cup of breadcrumbs has about EIGHTY g of carbs, so depending on how much of the breadcrumbs stick, a 12 cheese stick recipe will have 6.7 g of carb per serving(not including the flour).
To skip the flour dusting is the key to lowering the carb content and use an alternative to breadcrumbs. Almond flour, Parmesan cheese +/- coconut flour is the substitute of choice used by pretty much everyone.
If panko breadcrumbs are lower in carbs, people often ask me and many think they’re gluten free. Neither is true. Traditionally used as a coating for deep-fried foods such as tonkatsu and tempura, Panko breadcrumbs are a Japanese-style breadcrumb.
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
Course Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 12 pieces mozzarella cheese strings
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- (if you want a little heat) 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional,
- Preheat oven to 400 F. With parchment paper, line a baking cheese (as cheese can stick to it so better than foil).
- In a small bowl, beat TWO eggs and put it aside.
- In a zipper lock sandwich bag, place the salt, coconut flour, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, almond flour, garlic powder and red pepper flakes if using. Shake bag until it gets blended.
- Into the beaten egg, dip each mozzarella cheese string/stick and then put into the sandwich bag. By shaking the bag, coat the cheese string and place on a plate. Freeze for THIRTY to SIXTY minutes.
- Place the mozzarella sticks on the baking sheet if baking and until golden brown, bake for about TWENTY minutes.
- Heat a small amount of oil if frying (olive preferably) to about 1/4 an inch deep, in a small frying pan. Over a medium heat, heat oil and pan-fry until it gets golden brown(There’s no need to try and ‘deep fry’ them). Brown on all sides
- Enjoy as is/use a low sugar marinara sauce.
- CALORIES 272
- ENERGY 1140 kj
- FAT 24g
- SATURATES 11g
- FIBRE 1g
- PROTEIN 13g
- SODIUM 420mg
- CARBS 2g
Leave a Comment