KETO ZUCCHINI CRUSTED GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES. With zucchini crust, I am totally in love, in fact, I think I may actually like it even more than cauliflower crust. Because you don’t need to dry out the zucchini quite as much as you do for cauliflower, it’s also easier and faster to make.
When I made the zucchini crust for pizza(I kept it ultra thin). I made the crust thicker for these sandwiches so that they can substitute for sandwich bread.
servings: 2 SANDWICHES prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 45 MINUTES
course: MAIN DISHES
- (about 2 medium zucchini) 4 cups packed freshly shredded raw zucchini not yet drained
- 2 large eggs
- 10 tbsp superfine almond flour (if not following a strict low carb diet, you can substitute with
- all purpose)
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 thick slices of cheese(your choice)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. With parchment paper, line a large baking sheet.
- To a large bowl, add shredded zucchini and let sit 10-15 minutes. From zucchini bowl, drain excess water. Add in 1/2 cup of zucchini into a towel and wring dry using a tea towel/several sturdy paper towels. Repeat with remaining zucchini. You should have about 2 packed cups of zucchini remaining when you are finished. If zucchini is still slightly damp, it is okay. You do not need to wring zucchini as dry as the cauliflower if you’ve made cauliflower crust before.
- Add in pepper, flour, shredded Parmesan cheese, and eggs. Mix until all ingredients gets well combined.
- Into four servings, divide zucchini batter evenly and with parchment paper, place on baking sheet lined. Thin and spread out the divided batters using a spatula to form four bread squares 1/4 inch thick.
- For about FIFTEEN minutes, bake in the oven or until the surface starts to turn a light brown.
- Flip the breads over, gently, using a spatula, and until the tops of the breads are a light brown, cook an additional TEN minutes.
- Take out from oven and flip breads again. The side(on top) should now be crispy. The underside will be slightly softer but where you will place the cheese, this will be the inner bread sections.
- In between two zucchini breads, place one thick cheese slice. Spreading some butter or mayonnaise on the outer bread surfaces, you can then cook these the traditional way and heating them on a skillet until cheese is melted, or place the sandwiches into your oven and broil for 5 to 10 minutes for a healthier version, or (this is the method I used)until the cheese is melted.
KETO ZUCCHINI CRUSTED GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES
saturated fat: 13g,
net carbs: 10g