To transform any dish into a lighter and healthier alternative, Zucchini is the perfect option. It’s perfect replacement for pasta because it’s very easy to shape and when cooked becomes soft.
In this Keto Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups zucchini will be transforming into lasagna and rolling them up with lots of mozzarella cheese, marinara, parmesan, sauce and creamy ricotta. In case if anyone don’t want to serve them as rolls then just put the zucchini flat in the pan and layer the sauce and cheese like a normal lasagna. You can also use meat sauce if you don’t like it to be vegetarian and transform these rolls into meaty dinner too!
Few tips to make the perfect zucchini rolls!
The zucchini should be sliced into very thin 1/8th inch slices, in order to make the perfect rolls.
If you don’t want to end up with water lasagna then you need to draw all the water out from zucchini, it is first roasted in the oven for 15 minutes. This step not only helps soften it but make it easier for rolling.
- 4 large zucchini
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded (divided)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups marinara home-made or store-bought
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brush a sheet pan with 1 tbsp. oil and put it aside.
- Slice 1/8” thick slices of zucchini. On grease sheet pan place zucchini slices and oven roast for 10-12 mins. Take it out from the oven and let it cool for 5 mins before handling. Leave oven on to cook the casserole.
- While the zucchini is roasting, combine salt & pepper, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 egg, parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese to taste. Stir until it gets combined.
- Take a 9×13 casserole dish and on the bottom spread some homemade tomato sauce.
- By placing a zucchini strip on a flat surface arrange zucchini roll ups and spread about 2 tbsp. of the ricotta mixture first over each zucchini strip. For topping, a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and a tbsp. of marinara sauce. Roll up and put in casserole dish. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Bake at 400F uncovered for 20-25 mins until the cheese is melte.