Eggplant parmesan is a classic Italian dish that is often loaded with breaded and fried eggplant, which can be high in carbs and unhealthy fats. However, with a few modifications, you can make a keto-friendly version of eggplant parmesan that is just as delicious! This recipe uses almond flour instead of breadcrumbs and bakes the eggplant instead of frying it, making it a healthier option for those following a ketogenic diet.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the almond flour, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip each eggplant round into the beaten eggs, then into the almond flour mixture, pressing the mixture onto the eggplant to coat it evenly.
- Place the coated eggplant rounds on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and golden brown.
- Spread the marinara sauce over the eggplant rounds, then sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy your keto eggplant parmesan!
This recipe makes four servings, and the nutrition facts per serving are as follows:
- Calories: 560
- Fat: 45g
- Protein: 29g
- Carbs: 18g
- Fiber: 9g
- Net Carbs: 9g