KETO SAUSAGE AND KALE MOCK LASAGNA CASSEROLE. So delicious, you won’t even miss the noodles. This mock lasagna is also gluten-free!
I’m reminding you about this Low-Carb Sausage and Kale Mock Lasagna Casserole that’s been such a favorite on my site for today’s Friday Favorite featured recipe .
When I came up with the idea for Ham and Cauliflower Casserole au Gratin, I had comfort food in mind , and this mock lasagna is another comforting casserole that’s so loaded with flavor.
prep time 35 MINUTES
cook time 45 MINUTES
total time 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES
- 2 medium-sized bunches of kale
- 1 tsp. salt (for water to cook kale)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 19.5 oz. package hot turkey/pork Italian Sausage
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. ground fennel
- 4 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 C grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. With olive oil/non-stick spray, spray a 9″ x 12″ lasagna-type glass/crockery casserole dish .
- In a large heavy frying pan, heat the oil, squeeze sausage out of the casings, and until the sausage is cooked through and nicely browned, cook over medium-high heat , breaking it apart as it cooks with the turner .
- Add the pasta sauce, dried basil, and ground fennel when the sausage is done.
- Stir to combine and until it’s thickened and the liquid is reduced, let the sauce simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Add the salt to a large pot of water while sauce simmers and bring to a boil.
- From the kale, trim stems , then about 1/2 inch wide, cut the kale into ribbons .
- Add the kale when the water starts to boil , lower heat so the water is gently boiling, and just until it barely starts to wilt, cook kale 4-6 minutes .
Into a colander in the sink, drain kale and while you prepare other ingredients, let it continue to drain .
- I used a salad spinner, after it drained, to gently spin the water from the cooked kale.
- Layer 1/2 the drained kale, 1/2 the sauce, 2 T grated Parmesan, and 1 cup mozzarella in the casserole dish.
- With another layer of Mozzarella, sauce, Parmesan, and kale, repeat .
- With foil, cover the dish and for about TWENTY minutes, bake , then remove the foil and until the casserole is bubbling and cheese is starting to brown, bake another 20-25 minutes.
- For about 5 minutes before you cut it, let the mock lasagna sit . Serve hot.
- This freezes well and in the microwave, can be easily reheated .
KETO SAUSAGE AND KALE MOCK LASAGNA CASSEROLE
SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 17g
Saturated Fat: 7g
Unsaturated Fat: 9g