KETO SHEPHERD’S PIE also known as Keto Cottage Pie which is a low carb recipe is pure comfort food bliss! Healthy pie features healthier topping, veggies, and a flavorful meat sauce.
WHAT IS SHEPHERD’S PIE?
It’s a casserole made with a saucy meat sauce layer topped with mashed potatoes. It’s not normally keto friendly, since as it has mashed potatoes on top and contains starch in the gravy.
Fortunately, making this keto is not hard at all. We simply make a few swaps – avoid any starches in the sauce, green peppers for the peas, use a smaller amount of carrots, and cauliflower mash for the potatoes.
- 1 recipe Mashed cauliflower (2 cups)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 small Onion (diced; ~1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup Carrots (diced)
- 1/2 cup Green bell peppers (diced)
- 1 lb Ground lamb
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 cup Beef bone broth
- 1 tbsp Coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Make the mashed cauliflower. Put it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a enameled cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the peppers, carrots, and onions. Saute for 6-10 mins, until it gets lightly browned.
- To the sides of the pan, push the vegetables. Breaking apart with a spatula, add the ground lamb. Season with pepper and salt. Heat for 7-10 mins, until the ground meat turns brown.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, tomato paste, coconut aminos, and broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about five mins, until you have meat in a thick sauce and most of the liquid evaporates. Take it out from heat.
- Over the pan, drop dollops of mashed cauliflower and spread evenly by using a spatula.
- Until the edges are bubbly, bake for 10-15 mins.
- Place under the broiler for 2-4 mins, until the edges turns golden.
Amount per serving.
Leave a Comment